The Amber Ale Reflection.
December 27, 2010 § 1 Comment
Amber Ale Brewing Reflection:
Sanitizing was the hardest part; i was confused. I tried to clean everything I could and tried to keep everything that could be a contaminant away but i don’t think it worked. I started by bringing 2 gallons to a boil and dumping it into my fermenting bucket to cool. I then took another bucket and brought 3 gallons to a boil. brought it back down to 160° F and added my grains to steep. I let them steep for 20 minutes at an average of 160° F and squeezed just a little bit of the grains. The recipe said that I should not have squeezed, shit happens. My LME sat unsanitized in my 2 gallons of warm water covered before the addition. I then added my extracts. The dump was clean and I stirred for about 5 minutes. It was very well dissolved as I brought the heat back up to a gentle boil. At 213° F I added my bittering hops and was surprised when my wort boiledl over. I lost my spoon for a second (thank you Meeze for mentioning that :P). It was easily recovered with my thermometer however. I then took 50 minutes to enjoy a couple well crafted beers with some friends and shoot the shit. I added the first hops at 10:30 PM and added our aroma hops at 11:20 PM. I let the solution boil for 5 more minutes per the recipe and cold shocked it. I had two 7lb bags of ice with about 1 1/2 gallons of water and salt in my sink for a bath. I also included 3 frozen zip-lock bags of water to the inside. The ice on the outside melted very fast. We dumped at 77° threw a strainer. The last 3 cups or so were very full of gunk. I strained it well. I then took a reading with my hydrometer which read 1.045 specific starting gravity. I pitched my yeast on the top and quickly sturred. I then capped and sealed the bucket, and placed my airlock on top. It now rests at the foot of my bed, just waiting to be enjoyed. Hopefully I didn’t mess it up all that much.
Dropped spoon in wort during boil over.
Spoon and strainer were not complete sanitized due to size.
Zip-locks of ice were not completely sanitized.
Not 100% on hydrometer usage.
Squeezing grain bag.
Did not sanitize LME when warming in 2 gallon tub.
Used 4 1/2 gallons of tap, 1 gallon of Poland Spring. (1/2 boiled off)(not really a mistake, just weird)
Brought 3 gallon to boil, then chilled before steeping.
Should have chilled the wort past 77° F
TAJAH SPIT! lol.
Start date: 12/25/2010
Tentative bottle date: 1/9/2011
Tentative opening(party) date: 1/22/2011