The Bookends Doppel-Bock
February 24, 2011 § Leave a comment
|Batch Size (Gal):||5.00|
|Total Grain (Lbs):||14.30|
|Wort Boil Time:||60 mins|
|Pre-Boil Wort Size:||5.88 Gal|
|Pre-Boil Gravity:||1.076 SG|
|55.9||8.00 lbs||Pale Malt(2-row)||America||1.036||2|
|7.0||1.00 lbs||Vienna Malt||America||1.035||4|
|3.5||0.50 lbs||Chocolate Malt||America||1.029||350|
|23.1||3.30lbs||Muntons LME – Dark||America||1.037||27|
|10.5||1.50 lbs||Briess DME – Gold||America||1.046||8|
|1.00 oz.||Chinook||Pellet||11.50||47.4||60 min.|
|1.00 oz.||Hallertau||Pellet||3.80||3.1||10 min|
Wyeast: Hella Bock
2 liter starter made from one pouch.
1 pouch directly pitched.
1. Mashed in grains at 154°F in 3 gallons of water for 75 minutes.
2. Vorlaufed for about 15 minutes.
3. Sparged with another 2.88 gallons of water at 200°F.
4. Fly sparged and collected all run offs in my newly cut keggle.
5. Turned my burner to medium and added my LME + DME.
6. Started the boil and added Chinook hops.
7. Added a WhirlFloc tablet at 15 minutes left in the boil.
8. At 10 minutes left added 1 tbsp of Wyeast nutrient, and Halertau hops.
9. Killed the burner and used the emersion chiller to bring the wort down to temp.
10. Aerated well and pitched 2 liter yeast slurry.
12. Placed it in my modified refrigerator set for 47°F.
13. On day two I added another Hella Bock yeast activator pack.
Just finished mashing, beginning of vorlauf.
Straining vorlauf and beginning of fly sparge
Fly sparging into my newly built keggle.
Resulting carboy. Had to cut the shelving out of my refrigerator and add some straps to keep it closed. Pretty tight fit.
My pipeline. That is the Irish Red and “Layout” Stout.